I recently applied for the Johns Hopkins Creative Writing program, but I did not get in. It was quite disheartening. However, after two days of depression I have rallied and am planning on taking a workshop or two in order to get myself into the program in the fall.
Here is my thought on such rejection/ the depression we all feel: Everyone loses his/ her desire or passion from time to time, I am sure of it. I have been complimented on my will power and energy to accomplish goals many times, yet on just as many occasions I have found myself sitting around by myself and wondering 'what is the point?' Here is why I believe you will rebound if you are in a similar situation -- because I have, and I believe you have the same burning desire to learn that I do (if you care enough about reading to be reading blogs about it) -- perhaps more so! Do people around you see the way you talk about reading and your beliefs, and see you are passionate about it? Do they see that you genuinely want to help people like myself, people that need that extra push?
If this is you, I think you have no choice but to succeed at getting your passion back. Perhaps it is a question of 'passion for what?' That is what it was for me, although I am not trying to say that what goes on in my head is the same for you--we are all different in our special ways--I felt that my passion was diminishing about a year ago. I picked up a few good books, and I thought 'huh, I could do this,' and then I just started writing. I wrote, and I wrote, and then I started reading about writing; I became obsessed, and now I love it. Regardless of whether I make it in the writing world or not, I love it. But believe me, I am scared of the moment I wake up and don't seem to care anymore. You know what though? That is why we find good friends that are able to advise on good readings and provide motivation, and I believe that will keep me going. So for that I say thank you to all those friends like this out there, accompanied by an apology for rambling.
Thank you, and keep warm!
Justin
No comments:
Post a Comment