Saturday, May 28, 2011

My Reading Lately

Good evening, I hope you all are well. I was reading about Alexander Dumas (I really enjoy his story The Count of Monte Cristo), and I thought I would share. What I find interesting about his story is that he didn't have too much education, but read 'everything he could obtain.' Have you read much of him?

Lately I have been mostly reading Bernard Malamud, Tim O'Brien, and Tobias Wolff. These three are great - the latter two being modern. I also recently read the Mowgli portions of The Jungle Book, by Rudyard Kipling, and am reading Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson. The last two, as you know, aren't at all the same as the first three authors I mentioned, but I wanted to share what I have been reading lately. I also read half of The Count of Monte Cristo, and I have to say, I really love novels like that or Treasure Island, if I could write a story that like either of those I would be ecstatic.

At any rate, I just wanted to share what I have been reading lately and my thoughts. I have realized that, while I want to learn 'literary fiction' I really just want to write what I want to write, read as much as possible so I know what I don't like and what I do and can incorporate my lessons into my own writing. And I have about eight+ ideas for stories I want to tell, so world beware.

No comments:

Post a Comment